Dear Clients and Friends,
The year is almost over. The report found below covers m&a trends, values and deals in the four sectors of Enterprise Data and Analytics that we follow, and sometimes lead. As you will see, it’s been a strong year. (Please see our year-end report below.)
We’ve been advising buyers and sellers of Data and Analytics companies for more than 15 years now – more than 200 transactions – and each deal is still a treat. This week we announced another one: We were exclusive financial and strategic advisor to Tier1CRM, Inc., a fast-growing SaaS-based, CRM company, on a $34 million equity investment from Wavecrest Growth Partners, Salesforce Ventures, and Mass Mutual Ventures. We love it when we are able to help strong companies find new partners to help them reach the next level in their development. It never gets old.
SaaS is hot these days; it’s where many firms aspire to be – and for good reason. At the same time, we note with some amusement that some in the media (and some investors) treat “SaaS” as if it is a defined industry. It’s not any more than Big Data or the Internet are industries. SaaS (and Big Data and the Internet) is a powerful model that can help customers in many industries solve problems faster and at lower cost than some alternatives. But software vendors compete based on their ability to effectively solve specific customer problems – not based on technology. That’s what makes Tier1CRM successful – not the fact that they are “in the Cloud”.
As you will see from our report below, m&a values, volume and trends in all four sectors of the Enterprise Data and Analytics industry remain strong. We believe they are likely to remain strong for some time – as demand by customers, investors, and buyers continues to outpace many other sectors.
We love working with strong Data and Analytics companies that solve real customer problems in clearly defined industries. We look forward to working with you in the future. In the meantime, we wish you and your families happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous holidays and New Year.
Some of the more interesting deals this past month include:
- Verisk Analytics (NASDAQ:VRSK) agreed to acquire Power Advocate for $280mm,
- Uptake Technologies (Chicago, IL) raised $117mm in a Series D funding round led by Baillie Gifford, valuing the company at a post-money valuation of $2.3bn,
- Qubole (Santa Clara, CA) raised $25mm in an equity funding round led by Harmony Partners,
- Logz.io (Tel Aviv, Israel) raised $23mm in a Series C funding round led by OpenView Venture Partners,
- Sanderson Group (AIM:SND) acquired Anisa for $17.2mm, valuing the company at an implied 1.2x LTM revenue,
- TransUnion (NYSE:TRU) acquired FactorTrust, a provider of alternative credit data, analytics and risk scoring information.
Please see our December 2017 Enterprise Data and Analytics Update below.